Skip to main content

Rx for Joy - Joanne Shortell

Joanne Shortell took me up on my call for guest bloggers.  I am glad she did, as I learned of a blogger and mental health advocate I'd like to introduce to you.  Joanne has three websites.  Strongly Bipolar is a blog similar to Prozac Monologues. is the source of the following piece.  And gives more information about the issue it discusses.  

Rx for Joy Can Be Written by any Therapist in the U.S.

My current therapist is a nurse practitioner who can prescribe psychiatric drugs.  My previous therapist was an MSW who could not.  Both, however, could write a prescription for an emotional support animal (ESA).  A short, simple letter (see sample below) from a doctor (any medical doctor, not just a psychiatrist) or any therapist will allow a person with a psychiatric disability or a chronic pain condition to have pets in no-pets housing, to avoid any pet deposit or pet fee, and to avoid size limitations or species restrictions.  The person with the disability gives this to their landlord or co-op/condo board as a request for a reasonable accommodation.  (See link: How to Get an Emotional Support Animal.

Why should I prescribe ESAs?

Maeve, Psychiatric Service Dog and Mental Health Advocate said it best in her Manifesto:

If the drug companies could patent pets, then animals would be the first line of treatment for every condition in the DSM.  Animals interact with no drugs, can't cause metabolic syndrome or diabetes, never overwhelm kidneys or liver, are approved for pediatric use, and improve both mental and physical health -- EVEN OVER THE COURSE OF A LIFETIME OF USE.  Rather than a few 6-week clinical trials, thousands of years of experience demonstrate our safety and effectiveness.

What types of animals can be ESAs?

ESAs need no special training and can be any species normally considered a pet.  They can even be too young to be housebroken.  Note: you may have heard that the Department of Justice recently limited service animals to two species: dogs and miniature horses.  This does not affect the law regarding ESAs.  See note at the bottom of How to Get an Emotional Support Animal with link to a memo from HUD, which enforces the law regarding ESAs in housing.

What types of housing are covered?

All condo and co-ops (whether rented or owned) are covered.  All apartment buildings or complexes with more than four units are covered.  See page 2 of the Fair Housing Information Sheet #6 from the Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law for information on owner-occupied buildings with four or fewer units and single family houses.

Can an existing pet be declared an ESA? Is it possible to have more than one ESA?

Yes.  I had my cat Sibol for nearly 10 years before she became a legal ESA and had been paying hundreds of dollars in pet deposits and pet fees for her each time I renewed my lease.  That stopped after I requested that she and the puppy I intended to train as a service dog both be allowed in my no-dogs apartment as emotional support animals.

What law gives people the right to ESAs?

The U.S. Fair Housing Act, which is effective in all 50 U.S. states and cannot be limited by local or state laws, codes, or regulations.

Do ESAs have public access rights?

Not under federal law.  The Americans with Disabiities Act (ADA) allows service dogs access virtually anywhere the general public is allowed, but unlike ESAs these dogs must be specially trained and must provide some service other than emotional support.  See Legal Definitions of Types of Animals.  It is possible for ESAs to fly with their owners if they are necessary to the owner on the flight or at the destination, but that right comes from a different law with different procedures.

What Should the Letter Say?

Here is a sample excerpted from page 6 of the Fair Housing Information Sheet #6 from Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law.  Their sample letter includes an additional paragraph which you may or may not want to include.  The letter I used only had the two paragraphs below.  When I ran it by a lawyer at the CT Fair Housing Center, she assured me the omitted paragraph was not necessary.

Dear [Housing Authority/Landlord]:

[Full Name of Tenant] is my patient, and has been under my care since [date].  I am intimately familiar with his/her history and with the functional limitations imposed by his/her disability.  He/She meets the definition of disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Due to mental illness, [first name] has certain limitations regarding [social interaction/coping with stress/anxiety, etc.].  In order to help alleviate these difficulties, and to enhance his/her ability to live independently and to fully use and enjoy the dwelling unit you own and/or administer, I am prescribing an emotional support animal that will assist [first name] in coping with his/her disability.

What if the landlord refuses the request for a reasonable accommodation?

I contacted my state's Fair Housing Center.  Presenting my landlord with the number and name of an attorney there ended the problem.  You can find your Fair Housing Center by googling "Fair Housing Center" plus your state's name.  One can also file a complaint with HUD.  No lawyer is required, there is no fee, and it can be done by telephone, mail, or internet.  See Fair Housing Equal Opportunity complaint Process.

Joanne Shortell, Maeve's Service Human

Call us using Click below to call Maeve and Joanne at

We would LOVE to speak to your group free of charge

Joanne and Maeve (her psychiatric service poodle) help people with psychiatric disabilities discover their rights to emotional support animals in no-pets housing without pet deposits or pet fees and their rights to service dogs.

photo of Maeve and Joanne's parents by Joanne Shortell, used by permission


Popular Posts

Loony Saints - Margaret of Cortona Edition

Every once in a while, Prozac Monologues reaches into my Roman Catholic childhood's fascination with saints, especially the ones who today might be assigned a diagnostic code in the DSM.  Twice, Lent Madness has introduced me to new ones that I share with you.

A few years ago it was Christina the Astonishing.

Today it's Margaret of Cortona.  If you're a Lent Madness regular, you'd expect Margaret to be a shoe in for the first round of voting, where her competition is a stuffy old bishop/theologian, because Margaret became a Franciscan and, more significantly, her story features a dog.  Lent Madness voters are suckers for dogs.

Mood Charts Revisited

Mood chart is one of the top search terms that bring people to Prozac Monologues.  I wrote about mood charts in July, 2010, first as a recovery tool and later as a way to illustrate the differences between various mood disorders.  Both posts promised sequels, promises that remained unfulfillable until now that I have spent several months doing cognitive remediation at  Maybe cognitive remediation is worth another post -- later.

Following last week's tale of misdiagnosis and mistreatment, this week's long delayed return to mood charts seems timely.

What is a Mood Chart

Introducing Allen Frances

Allen Frances was the editor of the DSM-IV, first published in 1990.  He is now the fiercest critic of its next major revision, the DSM-5.  For over three years, he has been blogging weekly to this end at Psychology Today.  This week I will summarize his steady drumbeat.  I hope soon to publish an open letter to him.

Frances' complaint in a nutshell is that the DSM-5 creates fad diagnoses and changes criteria of older diagnoses to medicalize a whole range of normal behavior and miseries.  The link lists these problem diagnoses and a number of the following points, in an article published all over town last December.

These issues have been discussed widely, in public and private circles.  I am not qualified to address each point, though I did give a series over to one of them, the bereavement exclusion.  The best of the batch, if I do say so myself, is Grief/Depression III - Telling the Difference, which got quoted in correspondence among the big boys.